In this all-day class, students will gain the knowledge to raise layers with confidence and increase profitability.
The class begins with a tour of the farm discussing how we raise our layers and what set-up will work best for you. After the tours, we discuss each of the topics listed below. Detailed handouts will be provided and each student will receive 1 year of support to answer any questions or troubleshoot issues.
• Best layer breeds
• Raising day-old chicks and using broody hens
• Maintaining a good coop
• Nutritional requirements of chickens, including sample rations
• Disease and injuries
• Chicken feeders and waterers
• Raising and protecting free-range chickens
• How to winterize a chicken coop
• Benefits of free-range eggs
• Marketing and selling eggs
• Differences with meat chickens
Who should attend:
• Those thinking about raising layers for themselves or for egg sales, and want information before they begin.
• Those raising layers on a small scale and want additional information to improve their profitability and production.
• Pen or pencil
$100 10 student max; 2 student minimum.
Dates: February 25, 2022; also scheduled by appointment.
Time: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Instructors: Serena Stuart
Location: Stuart Farm, Gerald, MO 63037
A few things to remember:
• Please wear comfortable clothing and close-toed shoes for the farm tour.
• For bio-security reasons, if you have been around any other livestock, including a backyard flock, or on a farm, please scrub the bottoms of your shoes and spray with a disinfectant the night before coming to the farm.
• Please bring your own sack lunch, as we do not have the facilities to provide lunch.
• We do not have good cell phone coverage for some carriers; please leave our number with anyone who may need to contact you for emergencies only.
• All participants must be over 18 years old. Children are allowed for private classes with one parent present.
• We do not allow spectators. Everyone in attendance must be a paid student.